During Ocean Week and to celebrate World Oceans Day, Seas At Risk is delighted to announce an online event with BirdLife, ClientEarth, Oceana, Surfrider Foundation Europe, and WWF. Together, we will dive into the challenges faced by marine and coastal ecosystems and discuss the EU policy necessary to overcome and respond to these issues.
The ocean plays an integral role in the survival of our planet. It remains under severe attack, however, with climate change, overfishing, habitat destruction and pollution joining forces to drive nature at sea to the brink. What can be done? How can the EU turn the tide to save our seas?
This 90-minute event will discuss several topics, each with an expert panel:
From extraction to resilience
- Dr Riyong Kim, Head of Programme, Natural Capital and Ecosystems
- Ska Keller, German Greens representative
- Bert de Wel, International Trade Union Confederation
From degradation to recovery: how to enable ocean restoration
- Zafer Kizilkaya, President of the Mediterranean Conservation Society
- Joachim Claudet, Marine social-ecological research specialist
- Karin Dubsky, Marine ecologist and co-founder of Coastwatch Europe
From destruction to protection
- Veronica Manfredi, Director for Quality of Life in DG ENVI
- Minister Serrao Santos, Portuguese Presidency
- Catherine Chabaud, Member of the European Parliament
Conclusion – Blue Manifesto checkpoint
- Charlina Vitcheva, Director General at European Commission, Directorate-General for Maritime Affairs and Fisheries
- Monica Verbeek, Director of Seas At Risk
Find out more about #OceanWeek and discover other events on www.oceanweek.eu.
Posted on: 25 May 2021